"Papua New Guinea has an abundance in natural resources, but poor governance and corruption have prevented this wealth from reaching ordinary citizens.”
Source: Post Courier, Wednesday 29th February
THE Papua New Guinea 2012 General Elections will proceed as planned.
Already 75 percent of the Electoral Roll is complete – the remaining 25 percent should be completed in two months.
PNG Electoral Commissioner Andrew Trawen announced this yesterday yesterday adding “the Election 2012 will proceed as required by the National Constitution” and that the preparations were on schedule.
Source: The National, 01st March 2012
By ISAAC NICHOLAS
DEPUTY Prime Minister Belden Namah has announced that parliament is looking at deferring the general election for 12 months to allow the government to fully implement its major policies.
He said if he had the support of the prime minister, he would use all his resources to ensure Peter O’Neill was returned as prime minister after the election.
Life in Wisteria Lane (Desperate Housewives) and Manhattan’s Upper East Side (Gossip Girl) can’t get more exciting than life in Papua New Guinea! In case you aren't aware Papua New Guinea's 2012 National Elections scheduled to happen in nine weeks time might be postponed.
Source: Post Courier
THE national elections – only nine weeks away - will only be deferred on the advice from the PNG Electoral Commission and the Police.
Prime Minister Peter O’Neill told Post-Courier that his Government or Parliament would not rush into deferring the national elections because of concerns surrounding the update of the common roll as well as security for the polls.
TRANSPERANCY International PNG (TIPNG) wants the 2012 National Election to go ahead.
Source: Post Courier
TIPNG chairman Lawrence Stephens stated that TI had taken this position because they were reliably informed that the electoral rolls were as ready as they had ever been and possibly more so.
It stated that it is extremely disappointing to hear that Members of Parliament are deliberately creating fear with the impression that PNG is less prepared than it has been in the past.
Source: The National, Monday 27th Febuary 2012
There are diverse issues that concern individual Papua New Guineans in different ways, but the one issue that will always be of great cultural and emotional significance to all of us is our land. Taking away someone’s land or their right to it, is as good as amputating all four of their limbs.
Source: The National, Thursday 23rd Febuary 2012
By GABRIEL LAHOC
POLICE will find out why six officers allegedly assaulted a seven-month pregnant woman then abandoned her on a roadside.
Lae metropolitan commander Supt Nema Mondiai deplored the assault after the woman, Nora Duran, reported the matter to the police. He has advised Duran to lodge a formal complaint with the police ombudsman.
“I was not aware of this incident but I don’t condone such activities.