Unrestrained Capitalism is a foreign idea that has been imposed on Papua New Guinea from outside. It is the root cause of many of the problems we face every day. We must find a better model for our development that relies on our Papua New Guinean Ways to enure a “Gutpela Sindaun Bilong Olgeta”.
Starting from the National Goals and Directive Principles in our Constitution, ACT NOW! has identified five key areas that will help create a gutpela sindaun bilong olgeta.
1. Greater Localization of Decision Making
Corruption is thriving and poor choices are being made because decision-making and expenditure is concentrated in Waigani where there is no accountability. Greater localization of decision making and control over expenditure will give local people and institutions a voice and improve accountability and transparency.
2. More Equal Distribution of Wealth
There is a deliberate and systematic theft of our resources by foreign corporations and the outrageous accumulation of wealth by a few greedy individuals.
Our government must
• ensure the newly establsihed Independent Commission Against Corruption in well resourced and free from political interference, and
• not approve any new large-scale resource projects until a full analysis of current operations and measures to ensure transparent, fair and equal distribution of all the costs and benefits have been completed.
3. Protection of Land
Unscrupulous foreign corporations and greedy Papua New Guineans are stealing land, breaking up communities and depriving them of their sustenance using corrupt officials, lies and violence. Customary and state land must be protected and there must be no further land alienation or land registration schemes.
4. Promotion of Local Businesses and Industries
Successive governments have discriminated against local enterprises by failing to provide protection, proper infrastructure and technical and financial support. The government must recognize our future is an economy based on Papua New Guinean people and values. The government must actively promote local skills and industries by providing protection, investment and incentives.
5. Quality Education and Healthcare
The healthcare and education conditions for staff, students and patients are shameful and appalling. The government must provide quality facilities and access to free quality healthcare and free quality education for all.
For more information check our website: www.actnowpng.org