Mt Kare is an alluvial gold mine located between Enga and Southern Highlands provinces in Papua New Guinea.

The mine has a long and colourful history as recorded in the book, 'Gold, treachery and warfare', see below.

In April 2011, Ace Mining of Australia announced an agreement with local landowners to start mining.

The MT Kare landowners  will have a 47% stake in the mine with Ace Mining holding the other 53%.

Ace Mining still has to obtain government approval through the Mineral Resource Authority for a special alluvial mining lease.

Under the agreement with the landowners, when it starts operations, Ace Mining will build road and bridges, schools, health centres and a hydro-power system to light up the local areas and supply the new Hela province. This will be paid for from the landowners equity in the project which will also fund school fees for children attending elementary, primary and high schools in the project area 

PreviewAttachmentSize
Mt Kare - gold, treachery and warfare.pdf143.42 KB
Syndicate content

Follow news on this project  

News

Indochine mining hits heights in PNG

Source: 
Proactive Investors

Indochine commences drilling phase

Source: 
ABN newswire

Miner promises new approach

Source: 
Papua New Guinea Mine Watch

Mt Kare people want mine started

Source: 
The National

Shareholders approve Indochine takeover of Mt Kare

Source: 
The National

Locals lose battle

Source: 
The National

Mt Kare locals sign for project

Source: 
Papua New Guinea Mine Watch